Mori Sewing: FO + make-list


I finished up another refashion last night - these are so much fun!  I really have to start taking pictures of what I start with... but I get inspired, jump in, and don't plan ahead for blogging.

This was two really tacky dresses from the by-the-pound Goodwill that had horrible synthetic stretch linings, but really nice lace on top.  One cream and one white.  I used the top half of the cream one, after cutting out the cinched elastic waist and the lining. The skirt on the cream one was a bodycon fitted style.  I cut the lace into two rectangles for part of the skirt. The two strips of white cotton lace down the front were a see-thru waist on the white fit and flare tank dress.


I pieced the skirt panels together and added bits of lace trim and scraps of the white lace that I cut out of the bodice in order to make the different sized pieces of lace match up and add some little extra detailing, for a gently asymmetrical hemline.


I simply love the dress... but there is one thing preventing me from wearing it.  It is completely sheer and needs a plain base dress, which I currently lack.

I've been collecting white and cream sheets, tableclothes, and yardage at the thriftstores lately and my Tina Givens Madeline pattern arrived this week, so the time has come to do some simple base dress sewing.


I also got a bunch of beautiful vintage jacquard napkins in cream and white and I want to make something with them, but they are all different sizes & I wasn't sure how to fit them together.  I was looking through my pinterest and found this skirt I really like...

It gave me the idea to sew different panels of fabrics to the one end of different napkins to make them all the same length, piecing together in a big rectangle that could be made into an easy elastic waist skirt. I'm going to have to sort through my stash and starting piecing something together. I think if it were all patchwork cream and white fabrics without a lot of extra lace, that it would be a good layering piece under or over fancier or printed pieces.

But then, I will definitely still have to make one with different calicos and lacy bits too! 



Comments