In the Folds Peplum Tank from Peppermint Magazine (Make Nine)

It's been a while since I blogged.  In between doing some traveling, I've been sewing a lot but have not had much motivation to get out and take pictures, as it is over 100 degrees most days now. I do have a little post I can scrape together today, though - with some photos from the end of June of one of my Make Nine patterns... an In the Folds Peplum tank.



This is a popular one on Instagram & it's free!  It looks cute & flattering on lots of body types and I've been drawn to that peplum style top since seeing them on some modest clothing RTW sites (Clad + Cloth and Piper & Scoot).  I thought I might really love this style.

I actually don't love it.

My lack of love is two-fold.  One, the fit is not good.  I foolishly cut the pattern looking at the body measurements and not the finished measurements and there is a lot more ease in this pattern than I would have liked.  I cut for the 40" bust and the finished measurement for that is 43.5.  To me, this is too much ease for a tank because it makes for some baggy armholes.


My other issue is just that this style in this fabric is really unflattering on me. It is a linen/cotton blend I salvaged from some drapes I got at by-the-pound.  The crisp linen is pretty boxy and tends to stick out away from the body like a tent.  I was imaging it as a top to layer over skirts with a nod to Mori style... however the top sticks out and looks goofy instead of layering well.

When I modelled the finished top for my husband, I wore it over a midi-length skirt. My husband is my biggest fan when it comes to my me-made wardrobe and he is usually vociferously positive about my new makes. With this one, I was met with an awkwardly long silence accompanied by a slightly confused/pained expression.  He finally said - "Well... it's really interesting - is it a top? I think it could be nice, but definitely don't wear it with a skirt." So I tried it with jeans instead & he liked it much better.

I think this top is designed to go with pants more than skirts.  It seemed to make sense with jeans, but I felt uncomfortable with this pairing because I feel vulnerable having my hips exposed...  usually if I wear jeans, I wear a longer tunic or short dress over them.  I just feel a little self conscious and naked.

Fitting issues aside, I do like the shape of the back.  I could see scraping the idea of a peplum top, but still refining the fit of the top part in order to use it as the bodice of a tank dress.  I even thought of sewing another tier of ruffle onto this one in a blue and white pinstripe fabric to turn it into a dress.  The extra fabric might weigh it down and tame it - but it could also do the opposite and become even more tent-like and unflattering.

I haven't worn this out and about yet - if I don't fix it somehow, I think it's destined to be worn only around the house and garden. I'm not sure if it would be worth refining the fitting issues, due to the greater style issue that makes it not a very useful garment for me.  I think making it in a smaller size with a softer draping fabric could make a better version - but I think I'll try the Odgen Cami before I do that.  I also still have the Sorbetto TNT woven tank pattern too. 

All in all, it was a good Make Nine experiment - I'm glad I made it, but I think I can stop coveting peplum tops now and get on with other making projects.

Comments