Knitting Together - Inclusion and Diversity





A lot has transpired in the world of making since my last blog.  I feel like I am a completely different person and the world around me is completely different too.  I think it's a good thing, but it's also painful for a lot of people and that pain is on the surface for all makers to see now.

I hadn't even finished a draft of a blog about size inclusivity in the sewing community and the #sewmysize movement, when an even greater issue came to the surface - the issue of racism in the knitting community, which has also shed light on racism in the ethical fashion community.

I want to be very clear - I am not part of any silent majority that supports or ignores racism.  I am here to support Black and Indigenous People of Color (BIPoC) in the making/fashion communities and beyond. Ethical Fashion and Sustainability mean nothing when makers of color are excluded from business opportunities as teachers, designers, yarn dyers, employees at LYSs and as friends and equals in knitting circles and guilds.

I'm doing internal work, reading, journaling, and being more aware in my day to day life to confront my own relationship with white privilege and white fragility that is part of systemic racism and white supremacy. This isn't the place to talk in depth about that work, but I do plan to put some links together for resources for anyone who wants to do their own internal work against racism. 

What I do want to talk about further in this blog is a very tangible way to support BIPoC knitting businesses - buying and making patterns with yarns that are created by makers of color gives tangible financial support, as well as visibility... and there are some damn good patterns and yarns out there to discover!

I wasn't really knitting at all any more before January.  Last year, I made a couple of little things with thrift store yarn bits, but I had lost interest in knitting as a major part of my life until I started reading statements on Instagram and tried to figure out what was happening.  In the process of learning about the events that brought this conversation to the forefront of the Instagram knitting community, I also found so many incredible pattern designers and yarn dyers.

I decided to buy some patterns and yarn in solidarity with BIPoC sharing their voices and experiences on Instagram. Their creative work is so inspiring and has rekindled my love of knitting. Now I'm so passionate about knitting, I can't stop thinking about it every day.  And I am also thinking about dismantling systemic racism every day too.  I want to do everything I can to contribute to a making community that is welcoming, supportive, and inclusive of true diversity.

This weekend, I plan to assemble all the links I've been gathering and show more beautiful yarn and patterns, as well as key resources all in one place because I am getting to be an old lady who has trouble keeping track of all the amazing IG stories sharing resources.

For now, I will leave you with just one thing - my first finished project since taking up the needles again.

It is the Kia Sock (pictured above) - it's free on Ravelry, but please consider buying the designer, Dawn Landix a coffee on ko.fi as a thank you for this great pattern! There's a knit-along #kiasockkal that runs all year and it's lovely to see the way this great pattern knits up in different yarns.


The yarn I used is from Lolabean Yarn Co.  It's such a pretty pale celadon green with speckles of all different gorgeous colors (called Jack in the Beanstalk).


I already ordered another colorway called "I'm a Little Lad who loves Berries and Cream" for another pair of Kia Socks.  Here is the creator's photo... isn't it gorgeous?  I can't wait to see it when it arrives!
And I'm also dreaming of making a third pair of socks with the leftovers from both of these skeins together.

Thank you to the strength and talent of the BIPoC makers who have been speaking up, giving their time and energy to build a better making community.  I see you and I appreciate your presence and contributions so much. 

Comments