Another no-buy check-in and notes from Mindful Wardrobe course...

2019 is nearing a close and I'm pretty content about my mission not to buy new clothes and textiles, thus far.  I have learned a great deal, in both the successes and challenges of the year.



I did make 2 recent new clothes purchases - but I'm okay with them. Both were underthings from Tomboy X. I've long been a fan of their mission to provide size and gender inclusive garments that are ethical and eco-friendly, as well as fairly accessible in price-point.

They recently advertised a moon phase print on sale for Halloween.  I am a sucker for moon phase prints.  I got a wonderful deal on a cute lounge bralette and boy short set as an anniversary present to myself.  When they arrived, I completely fell in love with how comfortable their boyshorts are.  As a curvy pear, I struggle with fit in this department - usually ending up with something that's either a little too small in the hip or a little too big in the waist and thus, never quite truly comfortable.  These were magical - they fit everywhere, stayed in place, and made me feel good in my own skin.

I was even more smitten when I realized they also make period panties that are a lot more affordable than Thinx.  I contemplated it for a few days and then ordered some to try, as well as a 3 pack of boy shorts.  I'm not sorry in the least.  I feel good for supporting a great company and getting something special and comfortable that makes my life better.

Other than that, I'm still sticking with my mission. I've not purchased any new fabric this year and the new clothes/shoes exceptions were few.  Indi yarn was an unexpected rabbit hole, but also one that I am totally happy with delving down this year.

So what's next?


I'm taking the Sew Liberated Mindful Wardrobe class right now and I have Mending Matters on interlibrary loan, both of which have deepened my curiosity and desire to get better at mending and take care of treasured wardrobe pieces that stay with me for years to come. And not only me, but also my sweet husband... I've been making things for him too!

We just celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary and we do traditional gifts, so this year was wool!  I made him a vest and a pair of socks.  I also started practicing visible mending on his jeans and he's very excited about it. 
I'm looking forward to incorporating all I'm learning to refine my making, wearing, and buying habits even more in the rest of this year and beyond.

Comments