another thrift adventure...

I went out of town last weekend, so I didn't get any good sewing in - but I did get to visit the best thrift stores I know of for finding sewing treasures and got some good staples for my burgeoning collection of notions and fabrics.

Some of the fabric finds there are wild - I restrained myself from buying this vintage knit because I do not play tennis, nor do I know anyone to sew for who plays tennis... but it was quite a gem, in all it's polyester glory.
I also couldn't resist snapping a picture of this groovy sewing machine, though I didn't take it home with me.  I love the flower power!  It's a "Genie".
What spoils did I bring home?  Well, my biggest excitement was to happen across dozens of bags of bias tape all priced at 55-65 cents each. I have actually been searching for a lot on ebay of vintage bias tape & hem tape, because it's so handy to have around and it can hold up a whole project if you don't have the right notions on hand. Here's the jumble in its raw state.
And once it was sorted out... I'm excited also because there is pre-made piping in the mix too and I have been wanting to experiment with adding piping around the pockets of my next version of the Kelly Skirt


There's some very wide vintage blanket binding in the mix too, which I'm not sure I'll use any time soon, but the quality of the satin is much nicer than contemporary blanket binding.

I found these tins to stash my new collection in - the animal crackers one is particularly nostalgic because my grandmother used to send tins of animal crackers just like this for Christmas when I was a tiny girl. 

I picked us some fabric pieces, as well.  Nothing earth-shattering, but some nice pieces to add to my stash.  I had my eyes out for lining fabrics because I am finding that is another thing that can halt a project and I'd like to collect a little hoard of linings so I can get on faster with projects without having to trek to Joann or wait for fabric.com orders.

From top left, clockwise:
 A yard of 60" plaid in a lovely navy colorway.  It's a synthetic fabric but I am not sure the exact composition.  It has a nice heavy, cool feeling to it that I would like for a skirt, maybe with some dark chambray contrasts to pad out the amount of fabric needed to make a garment.  It's not slimy or hot feeling like some bad polyester.  I wish I knew more about synthetics to ID them with a bit more specificity.

4 yards of heavy satiny lining fabric with a sort of abstract leopard jaquard pattern woven in.

2 yards of pale yellow lightweight lining - needs a good press, but otherwise a nice feel and drape to it.

3 yards of green cotton jersey in a nice bright green.  It is getting a little washed out in this photo... but it will be excellent for practicing stretch sewing.

1.5 yards of a cheerful heavy cotton floral.  I think this is destined to be another Kelly skirt with red piping around the pockets and red vintage buttons.

a 12" square of Aztec printed flannel.  This was only a quarter and it was strangely the most compelling piece of fabric I saw all day.  I have a garment in mind to make use of it already.

2 yards of a very sweet pink/grey vintage calico print on a really soft and high quality cotton.  I don't know the exact date, but it's definitely real vintage, not in the grey area of retro.

And last, but not least... more old-school patterns.

Two basic skirt variations, a couple of blouse patterns that I bought mostly for the short puff-sleeved views because I think they are quite sweet and something I'd like to sew.  A vintage stretch tee pattern - I *love* the view with the collar and I thought this would be useful because it has a lot of instructions on sewing stretch with a 1970s home sewing machine... which is exactly the type of machine I own.  Another 1960s vintage pattern for a drop-waist dress with enormous darts.  And the vintage men's pajama and caftan pattern.  Before you think I am practicing spouse-torture by sewing... I want to note that my husband picked this one out.  He was enthralled by the pattern and wants me to make him a man-caftan. Now I just have to find some good fabric for the project.

Comments