Better late than never - ad hoc Sorbetto.

I finally made a Sorbetto!  Yes, I am SO late to this party that they have totally redesigned and re-released the pattern since I cut this out two years ago!

Short story:  I love it & will definitely make it again!

Long story: I never cut a bias binding for it and didn't have any of this fabric left... so I just looked at the two cut pieces, vaguely recalled seeing the buzz about the pattern and lots of cute photos from other bloggers years ago and figured that it was simple enough to put together without instructions.

I used singlefold commercial bias flipped to the inside on the neck and arms.  I also left the box pleat free at the bottom hem unintentionally - I just forgot that it was meant to be sewn in at the bottom too.  I love the effect, though and will do it again on purpose when I make more Sorbettos in the future.  I have no idea what size this was originally cut out as... but I believe that I graded between a larger hip size and a smaller waist/bust.  It was from the old version of the pattern.

The open pleat gives a nice fit to the neckline, so it's not slipping off my shoulders... and leaves room for my bust and hips, so my curves don't pull the garment out of whack. I am wearing it tucked in the photo, but I also like it untucked too... and I think the new version of the pattern with the tunic length would be a great make too!

Oh and the one with little sleeves too... I want to make them all!

The sleeved one as a woven tee is next on my list because it seems like the perfect summer work top.

I used to wear a lot of menswear style blouses with me-made skirts as a work uniform.  My size and style have changed and I only have a couple of blouses left in my wardrobe now.

I didn't miss woven blouses a lot in the winter.  This year, I usually wore an RTW knit tee with a sweater over it, if I wore a skirt to work... but now that summer's coming, I am feeling a lack of basic warm weather tops in my wardrobe, which has me choosing dresses over skirts at the moment.

I don't really like to wear knit tees to work on their own.  Especially with my new bust size, they just look either too dumpy if they are loose enough in the bust or too slutty if they are fitted enough in the rest of my upper body.

So, this cute woven tee pattern (tweaked to fit me just right) seems the perfect thing to make in multiples.

Me Made May 2018 has definitely gotten me thinking about my future sewing needs and wardrobe development. I think I am going to add Sorbetto to my Make Nine and have been contemplating some other changes to the list to focus more on developing TNT patterns for myself that can be made in multiples and also serve as blocks for getting creative later.

Being short, curvy, and a different "standard" size in bust/waist/hips... it takes a lot of energy to figure out the fit on just about any garment... so  focusing on getting more patterns to TNT status seems like an exciting and productive goal for the year that dovetails nicely with the Make Nine.  I'm also planning to participate in the Summer of Basics 2018. (which is definitely a fantastic follow-up to Me Made May!)

I'm still reflecting on my lists for both so that I don't write a dozen different updates to my #makenine18 and #summerofbasics all this month... whatever ends up on the short-list at the end of May, I'm looking forward to a happy summer of sewing.



Comments