Reflections on textile consumption in 2018 and shopping resolutions for 2019.


As 2018 comes to a close, all the projects completed &best photos from the past year and making plans for the year ahead are swirling around and it seems a natural time to take stock and reflect and I've been thinking back about my sewing and clothing consumption in 2018. How did I do?  Did my actions match with my goals and ethics?  Where did I stumble and what could I do better next year?

I bought new fabric from a fabric store 4 times in 2018.

Twice at Joann.  One was for a project I thought a friend needed.  I had a funny feeling that I should check again before buying 3 yards of black cotton, but I figured I'd use it if they didn't need it... and sure enough, they found a different solution so I ended up with the black fabric.

I made a Gypsum skirt, but it gets linty if you even look at it, so I only wore it a few times. THe skirt is currently in my Goodwill pile...  but I might give it one more try before giving up.

The other time, I bought a quarter yard of 3 Halloween fabrics on clearance to make some more gift bags for soap vending events. I didn't end up having time and haven't even washed the fabric yet.  If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have purchased either time.

2019 Resolution #1 
No fabric at Joann in 2019 & make those gift bags up before the next Dark Arts Market event.

The other two time were from indie stores.  I wouldn't take these purchases back. One is a cut of gray and white ikat from a beautiful little fabric store in Arcata, CA that I bought while on a vacation as a souvenir/birthday present. The other a piece of black and white ikat from Stone Mountain Fabrics, also a birthday present and I had a coupon for 20% off.

2019 Resolution #2
Stop saving the ikat fabrics for something super-special and sew them into garments this year, while ikat is still at least a little bit trendy.

And don't buy any more new fabric until the ikat is made into garments.  Then, only from indie stores as an extra-special treat, souvenir, or present to self.

As for new RTW... I did well most of the year, with a few big slip ups.
(Note all of this is knitwear and underthings... because these are the things I can't make with my machines & that can be harder to thrift. Tees can be hard to find in good shape & underthings I prefer new for obvious reasons.)

  • 3 bras from True.  (On sale. Not in love with any of them. Still searching for a good bra.)
  • 1 new yoga bra from Mika. (LOVE it - and they are a small ethical company! Win!)
  • 2 pairs of undies & a swimsuit top at Target. (Love 'em... definitely fast fashion ethos, but apparently making some effort with ethics and sustainability. They also donate their unsold clearance stuff to Goodwill and I see NWT items in my local thriftstore regularly, so I think that's cool, rather than destroying unsold stuff.)
  • 2 lace bralettes, a 1 piece swimsuit and a swimsuit bottom from Aerie (I like this company's clothes and their realistic models... they at least gloss on ethics.)
  • 1 new yoga bra on Amazon. (Don't really like it, wish I hadn't fell prey to Black Friday insanity.)  
  • 8 knit dresses, 5 new tee shirts, 1 pair of leggings and 2 new sports bras from Old Navy in three orders made in quick succession because of their stupid "Super Cash" offers... (I felt awful afterward.  I really only am wearing 5 of the dresses & the leggings on a regular basis. The rest was impulsive and ill-thought out because of the deals. I'm trying to love and wear the rest since I bought it... but I'm not bonding with all of the stuff  & I wish I hadn't any of the tees and 3 of the dresses.)

Everything else I bought this year in fabric and rtw garments & shoes was  me-made, thrifted, or purchased second hand on ebay.

2019 Resolution #3
No impulse buying & no new RTW

 (Black Friday 'season' got me all messed this year.) I would like to cultivate a way of thinking about getting before buying any new clothes. I want to think deeply before bringing in any new garments - will they truly pass the #30wears test? 

To this end, I've decided not to buy any new clothes in 2019.  No new RTW, no exceptions. Making & making do is preferred.  Thrifting is fine, but mindfully.  New is out for 2019.

With these consumption goals and my 2019 Make Nine, I think it's going to be a great year... now to savor the last few days of this year!





Comments