quick fix: a (finally) finished object Butterick B5984
This is just a quick finished-object post because it happened to be unseasonable cool enough to wear this plaid flannel dress I started in the fall of 2014 as a wearable muslin for Butterick pattern B5984, which is incidentally on sale right now for $1.99. (I really had to stop myself from browsing the out-of-print pattern sales on Vogue and McCalls patterns right now when I was looking for the link to this bad boy.)
I made the full skirt version, with a gathered skirt instead of a circle skirt & the 3/4 sleeve option. The neckline proved a fitting challenge for my short torso, so I had to re-cut the shoulder pieces to be smaller. This made the sleeves larger than intended, so I just gathered the sleeve head in a bit more than the original pattern called for to make a cute little pouf sleeve that fit the new shoulder piece, rather than cutting a whole new sleeve. I also ditched the original neck to made a curved shape rather than the square neck with the little collar detail.
(In the photos, it's doing a little funny thing at the bust, but it actually fits fine & was just bunched up under my arm a little. It was cold and rainy, so we were in a hurry too.)
The shorter hem really perks it up, immeasurably. It is much more vibrant and fun to wear with boots on a cool day, than with the long skirt & I particularly like the way that I cut the center piece on the bias. This pattern has a enough pieces that it gives you some room to be creative with print.
Considering the grand scheme of things, I probably won't make the pattern again - but I am please with how I salvaged the wearable muslin.